Your mascara is filled with toxic metals! Use these 4 ingredients to make one that’s cheaper and natural
While mascara products are designed very carefully in order to lower the risk of any eye-related problems and diseases, they are still loaded with some questionable ingredients, such as benzyl alcohol, mercury, aluminum powder, and methylparaben. The good news is that you can make your own mascara put of scratch, which is easy to make and toxin-free.
This recipe contains bentonite clay which creates hardened mascara as well as black mineral powder which gives it a very dark, black color. Most homemade mascaras contain beeswax, which tends to smudge too easily, but this particular recipe doesn’t call for this ingredient.
Why Regular Mascara is Bad
Cosmetic products are poorly regulated by the FDA, which is the reason why cosmetic companies feel free to use not-so-good ingredients. It typically contains natural and synthetic waxes, glycerin, water, iron oxides, preservative, kaolin, and polymer film formers.
While most of these ingredients don’t cause any serious problems in mascara users, some of them may develop allergies to some of the ingredients. According to a study published in the Journal of Cosmetic Science, using mascara beyond its expiration date increase the risk of eye infection.
In addition to this, some ingredients often used in mascaras are said to be dangerous for human health at higher disease. Mercury is a good example of this, a chemical which is allowed to be used in both eye makeup and face creams.
Long-Term Use of Mascara
Long –term use of mascara has been found to thing the lashes. According to a study published in the International Journal of Trichology,women who used mascara regularly had greater eyelash fall compared to those who didn’t.
Another study published in Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery has reported three cases of eye-related problems directly caused by long-term mascara. The women involved in this study experienced obstruction of the tear duct, irritation, and dry eye.
The Benefits of Homemade Mascara
Most of the ingredients used in homemade mascaras are a mix of coloring and conditioning agents, which allows you to reap the benefits of both worlds. Glycerin, that is often added as well, provides antibacterial protection and lubrication.
DIY Homemade Mascara
- 1 tablespoon Bentonite clay ( it prevents the mascara from smudging and it also helps it harden)
- ½ tablespoon vegetable glycerin ( it helps the ingredients stick to the lashes)
- 1 tablespoon black mineral powder ( it provides good texture, but can also used activated charcoal instead)
- ½ teaspoon Aloe Vera ( it improves texture and conditions the lashes)
- Mix the ingredients in a small bowl to create a smooth consistency. Use a small amount for only one mascara container
- Transfer the mixture into a medicine dropper with the help of a spatula, and then put it in your mascara container
- You can also put the mixture in a small jar and wipe it with any old mascara. Another option is to transfer the mixture into the mascara container without previously putting it into a medicine dropper, but this method is quite tricky.