Sweet Ambrosia Salad
Stop for a second! Just because our resolutions include healthy eating it doesn’t mean we have to deprive ourselves of delicious tasting food.
I guess your goal is to eat healthy snacks, cut back on sugar, fats and salt and make healthy replacements in your meals as much as possible.
The recipe that takes me back to my childhood, the beloved pineapple upside down cake was one of those recipes. I love the sweetness of the pineapple but I think I love it more because it’ s a cake that is made for me by my mom every year for special occasions.
Well, thinking that I would be able to spot the healthier version, I wasn’t able to. I was stumped! Banana bread, stumped. Spinach dip, stumped. All were lower in calories and still delicious.
By the time I made it to my kitchen, I already knew I wanted to overhaul a dessert recipe, one that uses pineapples of course. Ambrosia Salad. I eliminated the cream and replaced it with Greek yogurt. Give it a try and omit the marshmallows if you can.
- 1 can (15oz) Dole Mandarin Oranges in Light Syrup, drained
- 1 can (20oz) Dole Pineapple Chunks in 100% juice
- 3 kiwis, peeled, quartered lengthwise and sliced crosswise
- 1/3 cup candied cherries, chopped in small pieces plus 4-6 whole cherries for garnish
- 1 cup sweetened coconut, shredded
- 1 cup vanilla flavored Greek yogurt
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ¼ cup pecans, chopped
- In a large salad bowl, place mandarins, pineapple, kiwi, cherries, coconut, marshmallows and pecans in a bowl. Combine by gently tossing with a large spoon.
- Whisk together yogurt and honey. Pour into salad bowl and fold into the fruit. Garnish with a whole candied cherry on top.