Make Your Own Non-Toxic Nail Polish Remover with Grapefruit, Orange And Lemon Oils
Wearing nail polish seems like a good way to maintain good-looking toenails and fingernails. However, if you choose to wear nail polish, take into consideration the chemicals that come with it, especially the ones used to remove it.
Conventional Nail Polish Remover
A lot of nail polish removers contain toxic chemicals such as formaldehyde, toluene and phthalates. These chemicals may cause cancer, asthma, and even problems with the reproductive system.
What is more, inhaling those chemicals can affect your health greatly. Another ingredient that is very common in nail polish remover is acetone. Acetone is dangerous because it is flammable and it is powerful enough to dissolve plastic.
So, how do you make your own nail polish remover? It’s easy with this DIY nail polish remover recipe with nontoxic ingredients.
How to Make Your Own DIY Nail Polish Remover
- 1/3 cup organic apple cider vinegar
- 3 drops of grapefruit essential oil
- 3 drops of sweet orange essential oil
- 7 drops of lemon essential oil
- 1/3 cup rubbing alcohol
First, start by pouring one-third cup of organic apple cider vinegar into a small bowl. Apple cider vinegar is great for may reasons. It’s antibacterial and anti-fungal. Moreover it helps keep the nail area free from bacterial growth. Next, add the essential oils. Grapefruit, sweet orange and lemon oils are all acidic. It’s the acid that helps remove the fingernail polish. Grapefruit essential oil is a natural antimicrobial.
Lemon essential oil is great too since it adds to the prevention of bacteria while offering nourishing vitamin C to the skin. Lemon essential oil contains d-limonene, which is an antioxidant that helps keep the nails healthy while removing the polish.
Lastly, add the rubbing alcohol and blend the ingredients well. The rubbing alcohol is a natural substance made up of ethanol or ethyl alcohol, but it should only be used topically. Store it in a small bottle or container.
How To Use DIY Nail Polish Remover
Soak a cotton ball in the solution, then begin rubbing it on the nails. It may take a bit longer than the chemical-laden version. You can also dip the nails into the solution for about 20 seconds, then use a cotton ball to wipe clean. Once you are done, wash your hands with warm water and a gentle soap, then apply hand moisturizer on your hands and fingernails since the acidity can dry them a bit. You can also use coconut oil.