Lip-Smacking Mini Chocolate Cream Cake
You want to try something tasty, exciting and uniquely simplistic? Here is a great mini cake dessert recipe that will captivate all your senses and make you want more and more. And what’s so great about mini when it comes to food? Well, with mini we have portion control. And we can use ingredients that are healthier for us. If you are huge dessert lovers, aside from the fact that you are eating better and exercising more, it’s definitely hard for you to completely give up dessert. You still have your cheat days! This is a great recipe to help you satisfy your sweet tooth- once you try it, it will definitely become part of your favorite to-do recipe list.
Ingredients for the cake:
- 1 cup White Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 6 tbsp. Natural Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ¾ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ cup warm whole milk (or milk of choice)
- ½ cup strong brewed hot coffee
- 2 tbsp. melted butter
- 2 tbsp. melted coconut oil (or oil substitute)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 oz (2 squares) chopped bittersweet chocolate
Ingredients for the whipped cream:
- 1½ cup organic heavy whipping cream
- 2 tbsp. organic brown sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Fresh strawberries and raspberries for filling and garnish.
- 4 oz. melted bitter sweet chocolate for dipping strawberries and drizzling cake
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Wash and dry berries. Slice core and slice strawberries in half. (choose the amount you want)
- Cut two pieces of parchment paper to fit the bottom on your cake pans
- Oil the sides of two 5×5 (or 4×4) cake pans.
- Place the parchment paper in the bottom of the pans and lightly oil the top of the paper.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Melt butter and coconut oil.
- Slightly warm your milk or pour the coffee in with the milk.
- Add the butter and coconut oil to the milk and coffee mixture.
- Whisk your egg in a small bowl. Slowly temper in the warm milk, coffee and oil mixture into the egg.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture.
- Pour the wet mixture into the well, and gently incorporate the ingredients until moist and smooth. (Over mixing will produce a dry cake.)
- Gently fold in chopped bittersweet chocolate.
- Gently pour batter into each cake pan until ⅔ full. Place small pans on cookie tray and place on middle rack in oven for 20-30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Do not open the oven the first 10 minutes of baking.
- Cool cakes completely.
- While cakes are cooling. Place a metal bowl and whisk in the freezer for 15 minutes. (can use an electric mixer. Place the whisks in the freezer.)
- Remove bowl and place in stand mixer with whisk attachment.
- Pour in very cold heavy whipping cream, sugar and vanilla.
- Turn on low for a few seconds then turn to medium speed and mix until cream forms stiff peaks.
- Do not overmix, unless you want butter.
- Cover and return to fridge until ready to use.
- Melt chocolate according to package directions. Reserve some of the chocolate for drizzling. Dip desired amount of strawberries and place the strawberries in fridge to harden about 15 minutes.
- Assemble the cake.
- Gently remove cakes from pans and remove the parchment paper.
- Place the bottom cake layer on top of a dish and lightly drizzle with melted chocolate. (You can use a plastic bag for this and cut a small hole int the corner of the bag.)
- Place a nice size layer of whipped cream on top of the cake.
- Place desired amount of berries on whipped cream, slightly pushing them into the mixture.
- Top with another layer of whipped cream to cover berries.
- Push berries into sides of whipped cream and around bottom of dish for garnish.
- Gently center and place the top layer of cake on the whipped cream.
- Place dollops of whipped cream around edges of the top of the cake. (I used a 2 D tip and a piping bag filled with whipped cream. You can fill a ziploc bag with whipped cream and cut a small hole in the corner to the the same effect or even place your favorite piping tip in the ziploc bag.)
- Arrange chocolate covered strawberries and naked berries on top of cake.
- Lightly drizzle melted chocolate over entire top of cake and berries.
- Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
Prepare this and enjoy it in the company of those you love the most!