Jamaican Vegan Rundown Recipe
Jamaican Vegan Run Down is a delicious version of the very popular Jamaican dish. The results are mindblowing and taste so authentic, you and your family will just fall in love!
For: 5 people
- 1 large eggplant, (about 1 pound)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, (for frying)
- 2 (400 ml) coconut milk
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 spring onions, chopped
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 whole Scotch Bonnet pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Pinch ground allspice, (optional)
- Trim the ends off the eggplant. Cut into 2-inch strips, about 1/2 inch wide.
- Place eggplant strips into a large bowl and toss with sea salt.
- Cover bowl and set aside for 10 minutes, while you prepare the vegetables.
- Preheat over 400 degrees F. Pat with paper-towel and set aside.
- Spray with oil and transfer single layer on a prepared baking sheet. Bake for about 30 minutes, turning halfway. Remove from oven and set aside.
- If you prefer to fry eggplant strips then you can heat oil in skillet on medium-high heat.
- Add eggplant strips in batches and cook on each side until brown, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel to remove excess oil.
- Place coconut milk in a large saucepan, bring to boil. Reduce heat to simmer until coconut milk begins to transform into a thick and creamy custard, about 10 minutes. Stirring occasionally.
- Add onion, bell pepper, garlic, spring onion, tomato, whole Scotch bonnet pepper, parsley, thyme, allspice and eggplant strips.
- Cover and cook for flavors to meld, about 15-20 minutes stirring occasionally. Season with salt to taste.
- Serve immediately!