General Tso’s Tofu
This General Tso’s Tofu Recipe tastes amazing! It is easy to prepare, healthier and is so much better than any takeaway!
For: 4 servings
- Tofu Batter
- 1/4 cup tahini paste
- 2 tablespoons Bragg’s liquid aminos, Tamari/soy sauce (gluten-free)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 block extra-firm tofu
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons unsulphured molasses, or cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon tapioca starch
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup maple syrup, or coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 2 green onions sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne pepper, (optional)
- Salt to taste
- 2 cups steamed broccoli florets
- Preheat oven 400 degrees F. Squeeze excess water from tofu by placing it between 2-3 paper towels and putting something heavy on top of tofu for about 20 minutes. In the meantime prepare the batter and sauce.
- Mix together the first five ingredients for the sauce and set aside (water, molasses, tapioca starch, lemon juice, maple syrup, and sesame oil).
- For the batter: In a medium bowl, combine tahini paste, Bragg’s liquid aminos, lemon juice, cornstarch, and water. Mix well to form a smooth paste.
- Cut tofu into cubes and dip into batter to coat. Place battered cubes onto well-greased baking sheet.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until crisp, turning halfway. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Heat oil in large skillet on medium-high heat. Add garlic, ginger and green onions. Cook stirring for 1 minute.
- Add sauce mixture and cook stirring until it thickens, about 2-3 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add baked tofu and stir to fully coat with the sauce. Stir in broccoli and serve immediately. Delicious with steamed rice.