Chickpea Stew (Vegan, Gluten-free)
Here is the best comforting and hearty Chickpea Stew (Vegan, Gluten-free) ever! Made with simple ingredients from basic ingredients with an amazingly delicious taste that will keep you coming back for more!
This chickpeas stew is simple to make and delicious. Chickpea is low in fat, a good source of protein, fiber, vitamin B6 and iron. They increase bowel health, aid in weight loss and lower cholesterol.
For: 6 servings
- 1 cup chick peas, dry or two-15 ounce cans chick peas, drained
- 1 tbsp olive oil, (1/4 cup water)
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cups liquid from boiled chickpeas, or water
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne pepper
- If you are using dried chickpeas, sort, wash and soak them overnight. The next day drain and rinse chickpeas.
- Cover with water about 2 inches above chickpeas and bring to boil on medium heat.
- Lower heat to simmer and cook until tender, about 1 hour.
- Drain chickpeas and reserve 2 cups of liquid, set aside.
- If using canned chickpeas, start at step 5.
- Heat oil or water in a large saucepan on medium-high heat. Add onions and cook until soft, about 4 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds stirring. Add bell pepper, tomatoes, carrots, chickpeas, parsley, basil and oregano.
- Add tomato paste and water or reserved chickpeas water (aquafaba), cover and bring to boil. Reduce to a simmer for 20-30 minutes or until thickened.
- Mash some of the chickpeas, with the back of a fork to thicken stew.
- Check seasoning with extra salt and pepper.
- Delicious served with brown rice.