7 Early Warning Signs You Have A Worm In Your Brain From Eating Sushi

As unbelievable as it may sound, the consumption of sushi or other vertebrates can make a worm stick in your eyeball! Namely, gnathostomiasis is a parasitic infection caused by larvae (worms), and it usually occurs in Southeast Asia.

lunch with japaneese sushi dish with roll in chopsticks close up

It can happen as a result of the consumption of:

  • undercooked or raw freshwater fish
  • Frogs
  • reptiles
  • eels
  • birds

Infected people usually have migratory swellings under their skin, but can also experience the following symptoms within 2 hours after the consumption:

  • diarrhea
  • anorexia
  • malaise
  • vomiting
  • abdominal or right upper quadrant pain
  • fever
  • nausea

As soon as it enters the body, the parasite migrates throughout it and leads to severe pain. In some rare cases, it can penetrate other bodily tissues like the nerves, the liver, the eye (causing blindness and vision loss), the spinal cord, or the brain (causing coma, nerve pain, paralysis, and death).

Watch out the video below by Dr. Greger, in which he explains more about this infection, and shares some disturbing real-life cases of gnathostomiasis:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

error: Content is protected !!