6 Eating Habits for Easier Weight Loss

Losing or maintaining weight doesn’t have to be a daily struggle.

Don’t Give Up Your Favorite Foods

There’s no faster way to derail your diet than by banning everything you enjoy. If you love pizza or crave cookies, cutting them out completely is likely to lead to diet burnout.

The solution? Enjoy your favorite guilty-pleasure foods in moderation.

I like to follow what I call the 80/20 rule: I eat sensibly 80 percent of the time, and I allow myself to indulge the other 20 percent. For example, if I have my heart set on dessert one night, I’ll balance it out by ordering a light entrée and foregoing any cocktails. This approach definitely helps me maintain a healthy diet because I don’t feel deprived.

Always Look at Nutritional Info Before Dining Out

The key here is to plan ahead. When you go out to eat, take advantage of published nutritional information. Most chain restaurants, fast-casual places, and fast-food joints provide calorie counts and other nutritional stats on their websites. Go online before you leave the house, and do some research on the best food choices. This way, you’ll be armed with information before you even walk in the door of the restaurant. If you know the beef tenderloin has far fewer calories than the Chinese chicken salad, you might be more likely to order it!

Eat a Breakfast That’s Full of Protein and Fiber

You’ve heard it before: Eat breakfast! There are so many benefits to prioritizing a morning meal. It’ll energize you, jumpstart your metabolism, and help you make smart choices for lunch and dinner.

In fact, studies show that people who eat breakfast are more successful at losing weight than those who skip it.

Pick something with lots of protein and fiber—these nutrients will help you feel full all morning long. Don’t have time to cook in the morning? Try a healthy no-cook breakfast to help you out.

Have Healthy Emergency Snacks on Hand

I’m a big believer in always having smart emergency snacks with you at all times. When you have diet-friendly snacks in your purse, desk drawer, and car, you’re less likely to fall prey to fattening snacks you encounter throughout the day. Stock up on shelf-stable picks that are high in protein and/or fiber. My personal favorites are pouched tuna, jerky, 100-calorie packs of nuts, protein bars, and whole fruits like Fuji apples and bananas.

Do Some Food Prep Over the Weekend

Preparing healthy meals and snacks in advance is one of the best things you can do to help your future self eat smart. Don’t wait until the busy workweek is well underway! Set aside a few hours on Saturday or Sunday for making a detailed grocery list and some supermarket shopping. Then cook up some lean protein, chop veggies for easy snacking, and prepare a few make-ahead meals. If you learn how to properly meal prep for the week, you’ll have healthy dinners ready in the refrigerator and won’t need to hit the drive-thru!

Fill Up a Fruit Bowl and Put It Somewhere Visible

Simple but effective! Get two fruits bowls, one for the house and one for the office. Keep them filled up with fruit like apples, oranges, bananas, pears—whatever you like. If you can see smart snacks, you’ll eat smart snacks. Try it and see.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

error: Content is protected !!