25 DIY Home Remedies for Cystic Acne
Cystic acne can be very painful and annoying to have. Regardless of age, it can affect anyone but it is very common in teenagers. Hormonal change during puberty is the root cause of cystic acne. During puberty, androgen hormones increase rapidly which encourage excess oil production. When the excess oil clogs the pores, the bacteria thrive in it developing cystic acne.
Even adults can develop cystic acne when there is a hormonal imbalance. This usually happens during menopause, perimenopause, polycystic ovary syndrome, pregnancy and menstruation.
Cystic acne is considered hard to treat. But the right approach for treating cystic acne is to solve the root cause. Proper diet, stress control and daily exercise can balance the hormones and reduce the cystic acne gradually.
Meanwhile you can try topical home remedies to keep the cystic acne under control.
Home Remedies for Cystic Acne:
You can try any one of the remedies mentioned below for treating cystic acne. Apart from that you have to eat a nutritional diet, follow good skin care regimen and few prevention tips for effective results.
1. Baking Soda
The antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties of baking soda reduce the inflammation. It pulls out the excess oil, dead skin and impurities from the skin pores through exfoliation. Baking soda fights with the bacteria causing the infection. It also tightens the pores and makes your skin smooth and radiant.
- Wash your face using a mild soap and warm water to open up the pores.
- Combine 1 – 2 tablespoons of baking soda and water to make a thin paste.
- Apply the paste on the affected area.
- Leave it for 15 – 20 minutes and rinse off with lukewarm water.
- Pat the skin dry and apply some moisturizer.
- Repeat the process 1 – 2 times daily.
- If you have sensitive skin, then add 2 – 3 tablespoons of cucumber juice to reduce the sting and increase the soothing.
Process 2: With Epsom Salt
Magnesium present in Epsom salt has anti-inflammatory properties which reduce swelling and soothe the flare ups of cystic acne. Whereas the sulfate present in it flushes out the toxins.
- In a bowl, add 2 tablespoons of baking soda, 1 1/2 tablespoon each of Epsom salt and warm water.
- Gently combine the ingredients to make a paste.
- Apply the paste on the affected areas and leave it to dry completely.
- Gently rinse off with lukewarm water and pat dry.
- One the first day of the treatment, follow the process once in a day, on the second day try it twice a day and on third day check if the application is showing any positive results. Three days of this treatment should definitely show some results.
- This process can make your skin dry. To ease the dryness you can add a drop clove oil. Clove oil has amazing properties of battling cystic acne. But make sure to dilute clove oil properly as it is very strong and powerful.