11 Surprising Ways to Stop Hiccups
You are at a dinner party surrounded by people and all of a sudden the hiccups start. You feel embarrassed, frustrated or powerless and pray those hiccups stop, but they are still there.
Hiccup is an unwanted contraction of the diaphragm, the muscle that separates the chest from the abdomen and plays a significant role in breathing. Every contraction of the diaphragm is followed by a sudden closing of the vocal cords, which produce distinctive sounds known as hiccups.
Although the sound often causes laughter among the audience, hiccuping is known to be uncomfortable and irritating phenomenon, especially when repeated over time. Constant hiccuping can be annoying and even painful. What should you do to cure hiccups? Here are 11 techniques to help you stop hiccups and prevent uncomfortable and embarrassing situations. Find out which one works the best for you.
11 Ways for Stopping Hiccups
1.Hold your breath and count to 10. This is the most popular and easiest technique for making hiccups history.
2.Breathe rapidly into a paper bag. This increases the amount of carbon dioxide in the bloodstream, and the body becomes preoccupied with getting rid of it and forgets about the hiccups.
3. Drink Cold Water! Quickly drink a cup of cold water. Gargling with water might have the same effect.
4. Honey or Vinegar? What is your choice? Take a teaspoonful of sugar or honey and place it on the back of the tongue. Or you can do the same with a teaspoonful of vinegar.
5. Get scarred ! Having someone surprise you can overwhelm the vagus nerve and stop hiccups.
6.Avoid eating spicy food! Some spices significantly irritate the lining of the esophagus and stomach. They are also responsible for leaking acid from the stomach into the esophagus and this bring on hiccups.
7. Take magnesium! This mineral tends to decrease irritation and quiet the nerves.
8. Eat Slowly ! Eating slowly doesn’t just help you with weight, but with hiccups as well. When you eat fast, there is a lot of air between pieces of food which triggers the vague nerve and causes hiccups.
9. Don’t eat too much !Some experts think that when you hiccup that is a signal from your body to control your food intake, so that it has time to process all the food consumed
10. Have some peanut butter! During chewing the peanut butter, swallowing and breathing patterns are interrupted so the hiccups will be gone.
11. Chew up some dill! Slowly chew a teaspoon of dill seeds. Swallowing the seeds stimulates the vagus nerve and this puts an end to hiccups.
These tricks will help you stop hiccuping immediately. In case it doesn’t stop after a few hours, then you probably have problems with breathing and swallowing and you should immediately seek for medical help.